Sweet Potato Fritters
Easy, healthy and tasty, these fritters are hard to beat any time of the day!
1 clove garlic
100ml extra virgin olive oil
500g sweet potato, peeled, grated
1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander seeds and dried chilli flakes
1 cup (100g) almond meal
1/2 cup (140g) tahini
Juice of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
2 chorizo, skins removed, crumbled
Toasted flaked almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place garlic on a sheet of foil and drizzle with 1 tbs oil
- 2. Enclose garlic in foil and roast for 1 hour or until very soft, then cool, squeeze garlic flesh into a bowl, discarding peel & set aside.
- 3. Combine sweet potato, spices, almond meal and eggs in a bowl & season then heat remaining 1/3 cup (80ml) oil in a large non-stick frypan.
- 4. In 2 batches, add 1/3 cup sweet potato mixture per fritter to frypan, flattening with a spatula into 10cm rounds.
- 5. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, turning carefully, until golden, then drain on paper towel.
- 6. Keep warm & repeat with remaining mixture (add more oil if necessary).
- 7. Place garlic flesh, tahini, lemon and 1/4 cup (60ml) iced water in a food processor & process until glossy and thick & season.
- 8. Place chorizo in a non-stick frypan.
- 9. Cook over high heat, stirring, for 8-10 minutes until crisp.
- 10. Top fritters with chorizo, almonds, amaranth and serve with roasted garlic tahini and lemon wedges.