Mixed Dhal (GF)
Miranda’s Mash Up
1/3 cup yellow split peas
1/3 cup red lentils
1/3 cup brown or green lentils
1/3 cup split green split peas
1-2 tabsp oil (of your choice)
1 teasp tumeric
2 teasp coriander
2 teasp cumin
1 teasp garam marsala
1 teasp ground cardamom
1 teasp ground cinnamon
3 teasp black mustard seeds
4 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 x large flat field mushroom, chopped
1 x 410g tin tomatoes (crushed)
1 x 410g tin coconut milk
2 cups vegetable stock
2 - 3 cups water
1 tabsp nigella seeds (black onion seeds)
2-3 teasp of asafetida (hing) powder
Good pinch salt
Good handful of chopped spinach, baby spinach or silverbeet
Fresh coriander, to serve (optional)
- Fry off garlic, onion and spices in oil until fragrant & onion is soft (add a dash of water if too dry at this point).
- Add chopped mushroom and a dash more of oil or water so moist. Stir together for a minute or two.
- Add all lentils, tomatoes, stock, water, coconut milk, asafetida and nigella seeds.
- Simmer covered for about 1 hour or until lentils are soft, stirring occasionally. (Add a little more water if required during this time).
- Add a pinch of salt and spinach and stir until spinach is heated through/wilted.
- Serve with chopped fresh coriander and basmati rice, if desired.