Healthy Rum Balls (GF)
1 1/4 cups pitted soft dates (medjool, or soak dried dates in small amount of hot water for 15 minutes)
1 1/4 cups raw almonds
1/2 cup nut butter of your choice (I use almond butter)
1/4 cup cacao powder or good quality cocoa powder
2-3 tablespoons rum (more if you like a good strong rum flavour)
1 to 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (not essence)
1/2 cup sultanas (more if you like a strong rum ball with strong rum soaked sultanas)
Extra rum to soak sultanas
1/2 teaspoon salt
Desicated coconut to roll balls in
Note: You will need a high powered food processor for this recipe, otherwise you risk burning out the motor of a small one!
- Put sultanas and extra rum in a bowl, ensuring sultanas are just covered.
- Cover and put aside in a cool place in the kitchen, but not the fridge.
- Leave to soak at least overnight
- Ensure all dates are pitted before beginning
- Process/blitz almonds until resembling a grainy flour
- Add dates and process/blitz until smooth (this is where the high powered food processor comes into play)
- Add remaining ingredients (except sultanas & coconut) and process until all combined and smooth
- When smooth transfer to a bowl and mix soaked sultanas through mixture
- With wet hands, roll teaspoons of mixture into small balls then roll in coconut
- Refrigerate until firm and enjoy!