Decadent and to die for these are a special occasion treat!
1 cup caster sugar
70 ml cream approximately 1/4 cup
75 g salted butter cubed
2 tablespoons maple syrup
200 g flaked almonds toasted
150 g Glacé cherries halved
2 tablespoons flour, (gluten free flour is okay too)
200 g dark chocolate optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and line 3 baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cream, butter and maple syrup and bring to the boil.
- Allow to cook until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Add the almonds, cherries and flour and mix together quickly to coat in the buttery-sugar mixture.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture on the baking trays, making sure you leave sufficient space in between each Florentine as they will spread quite a bit.
- Place the trays in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes until the cookies are a deep amber colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Optional: Melt the chocolate and spread onto the back of each Florentine. Allow to set then store in the fridge until ready to eat.