Christmas Salad Wreath
How good does this look?
2 clove garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons grated parmesan
75 ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
3 tablespoon white wine verjuice or white wine vinegar
2 baby cos lettuces, trimmed and broken apart into leaves
200 grams baby rocket leaves, trimmed
2 witloof, trimmed and broken apart into leaves
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 slices grainy toast-thickness bread, crusts removed, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
2 small lebanese cucumbers, washed, dried and thinly sliced
1/2 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons snipped chives
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 ripe avocados
- To make the dressing, crush the garlic and salt together with a knife.
- Transfer to a bowl and add parmesan.
- Slowly whisk in oil.
- Add shallots and verjuice/vinegar.
- The dressing can be made several hours ahead; give it a good whisk before serving.
- Prepare all the salad leaves.
- Transfer to plastic bags lined with paper towels and refrigerate until needed.
- Put olive oil in a large bowl with bread cubes & garlic.
- Toss until coated and place on lined oven tray and toast until golden brown.
- When ready to assemble the salad, tear salad leaves into smaller pieces and remove thick stems.
- Arrange in a circle on a very large platter with the witloof.
- Halve the tomatoes and add to the platter with the croutons and cucumber.
- Scatter with herbs.
- Cut avocados in half, discard the stones and scoop out balls (you'll have some avocado flesh remaining in the skins, scoop it out, transfer to a bowl, quickly mash with lemon juice, cover right on the surface with plastic food wrap and refrigerate – use for guacamole the following day) or halve, peel and slice avocados in the usual way.
- Scatter the salad with rocket.
- Re-whisk dressing and transfer to a small serving bowl and place in the centre of the salad.
- Serve immediately with tongs and encourage everyone to spoon over their own dressing to avoid the salad going soggy.